WILLIAMSTOWN, MA––Williams beats NESCAC and archrival Amherst 6-3 in match played indoors at Mount Holyoke College. The game was a rematach of the NCAA 2011 championship match, which Williams won 5-4.Heading into the match, the Ephs were ranked No. 1 in the country, while the Lord Jeffs were No. 2.
Head Coach Alison Swain said "I am extremely proud of our team and our focused play against Amherst. They are a very well-tested and talented team. The fact that we were able to win at 2 & 3 doubles and 3-6 singles really shows the depth of our team and our ability to close out sets and matches when we create the opportunity."
Williams won seven of their singles matches, including three exhibition matches. Nancy Worley'13 fell to Jordan Brewer 6-2, 6-1, while teammate Kristin Alotta'12 lost to Laura Danzig in a close three sets. Kara Shoemaker, Kathleen Elkins, Rebecca Curran and Caroline Capute each won their singles matches.
The singles match of the day was between Elkins and Newman. Elkins won the first set 6-0. Her focused and determined play enabled her to make points longer and to open up the court, and dictate the play.
The Ephs won three of their four doubles matches, including one exhibition between Pastor/Pylypiv and Synder/Camacho. No. 2 Elkins/Capute defeated Pangalos/Newman, while teammates Alotta/Curran beat Slutsky/Aly. Williams No.2 and No. 3 Doubles were able to take control of the court early on, leading to confident play and their eventual win.
Swain concluded saying "I think the match yesterday gives us great momentum and energy going into our last dual match and home contest of the fall tomorrow against Wellesley. I also feel like our schedule thus far in the fall has prepared us well to look ahead to the individual ITA tournament this coming weekend in Bates."
Williams hosts Wellesley tomorrow at 2pm.
1. Brewer/Danzig (A) def. Worley/Shoemaker (W) 8-4
2. Elkins/Capute (W) def. Pangelos/Newman (A) 8-3
3. Alotta/Curran (W) def. Slutsky/Aly (A) 8-3
4. Pastor/Pylypiv (W) def Snyder/Camacho (A) 8-1
1. Brewer (A) def. Worley (W) 6-2. 6-1
2.Danzing (A) def. Alotta (W) 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Shoemaker (W) def. Pangalos (A) 6-1, 6-1
4. Elkins (W) def. Newman (A) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Curran (W) def. Slutsky (A) 6-2, 6-0
6. Capute (W) def. Camacho (A) 6-1, 6-4
7. Pylypiv (W) def. Aly (A) 8-2
8. Pastor (W) def. Snyder (A) 8-0
9. Thygesen (W) def. DiMario (A) 8-6