WILLIAMSTOWN-- It had been two weeks since the Williams women's tennis team played a match, but there were no signs of rust Sunday, as they took down Skidmore and Conn College each 9-0. Williams improves to 15-1 on the year, 4-0 in the NESCAC.
The Ephs took on the Thoroghbreds of Skidmore in the morning match. Williams was able to win all three doubles matches by close margins. Rebecca Curran and Caroline Capute pulled out the tightest of those at number three, 8-6.
The afternoon match with Conn saw a slightly different lineup, but similar results.
Each playing together for the first time this spring, the teams Nancy Worley and Caroline Capute and Veranika Li and Rebecca Curran each won their pro-sets by wide margins. The usual top team of Taylor French and Kara Shoemaker concluded doubles play with an 8-0 win as well.
Singles play brought more of the same for Williams, as no Eph dropped more than one game total en route to six straight set victories.
With her two singles wins today, Kristin Alotta ties Kate Troy '04 for most singles win in a Williams career at 102.
"It was a special weekend because we had lots of parents in town," said Eph head coach Alison Swain. The double-header also provided us the opportunity for everyone to play in the line-up on our home courts."
Williams will continue NESCAC play Wednesday when they take on Middlebury at home. Match time is set for 4:00.
Skidmore Individual Results:
1. Shoemaker/French (W) def Mendoza/Lee (S) 8-4
2. Alotta/Elkins (W) def Hirsch/Karlshoej (S) 8-5
3. Curran/Capute (W) def Smith/Baird (S) 8-6
1. Alotta (W) def Hirsch (S) 6-1, 6-2
2. Shoemaker (W) def Mendoza (S) 6-2, 6-2
3. Worley (W) def Ford (S) 6-1, 6-3
4. Elkins (W) def Smith (S) 6-0, 6-0
5. Capute (W) def Baird (S) 6-2, 6-0
6. Pylypiv (W) def Karlshoej (S) 6-0, 6-0
Conn College Individual Results
1. French/Shoemaker (W) def Sifuentes/Herbert (CC) 8-0
2. Capute/Worley (W) def Cangemi/Badik (CC) 8-0
3. Li/Curran (W) def Krivoshik/Swanson 8-1
1. Alotta (W) def Krivoshik (CC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Worley (W) def Herbert (CC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Elkins (W) def Sifuentes (CC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Curran (W) def Cangemi (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Pylypiv (W) def Badik (CC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Pastor (W) def Swanson (CC) 6-0, 6-0