WILLIAMSTOWN-- The Williams women's tennis team picked up a 9-0 out of conference win over the University of Rochester on Sunday. Playing in less than ideal conditions, Williams improved to 16-1 with the win.
Head coach Alison Swain stressed a quick start in doubles play in practice this week, and the Ephs responded well, taking all three. Kara Shoemaker and Taylor French and Caroline Capute and Nancy Worley each picked up 8-2 wins at numbers one and three, respectively. Kristin Alotta and Kathleen Elkins finished the sweep with an 8-3 win at number two.
Kristin Alotta suffered an eye injury during doubles, which bumped each player up a spot in singles play. The Ephs were unfazed, however, and managed to take all six.
Kara Shoemaker had to work hardest on the day. Her win came 6-4, 7-6 (5). Kathleen Elkins and Veronika Li had an easier go of it, taking their matches each 6-0, 6-0.
"I'm really proud of how everyone stepped up their game in singles today," commented Eph head coach Alison Swain. "Our depth proved to be a great advantage for us after Kristin went down with an injury. We also got off to another hot start in doubles, which was one of our goals for the weekend."
Williams will travel to Maine next weekend to take on Bowdoin and Bates to round out conferene play.
1. French/Shoemaker (W) def Tseng/Bow (R) 8-2
2. Alotta/Elkins (W) def Goodman/Shreck (R) 8-3
3. Capute/Worley (W) def Zhao/Genbauffe (R) 8-2
1. Shoemaker (W) def Tseng (R) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. Worley (W) def Goodman (R) 6-1, 6-0
3. Elkins (W) def Shreck (R) 6-0, 6-0
4. Curran (W) def Bow (R) 6-1, 6-1
5. Pylypiv (W) def Suresky (R) 6-2, 6-1
6. Li (W) def Genbauffe (R) 6-0, 6-0