Williams Loses Two Five-Set Matches in Double Header

From (L. to R.) Ryan Farley '16, Katherine Lane '16, Tori Jasuta '17
From (L. to R.) Ryan Farley '16, Katherine Lane '16, Tori Jasuta '17

Wellesley, MA –Williams suffered two losses in non-conference play against Wellesley (13-12, 5-3 in Conference) in five sets (26-28, 24-26, 25-17, 25-16, 11-15) and MIT (26-2, 7-1 in Conference) in five sets (22-25, 21-25, 28-26, 26-24, 12-15).

Williams (14-9, 6-2 in NESCAC) competed with Wellesley in the first match of the day, but lost to them in five sets (26-28, 24-26, 25-17, 25-16, 11-15). Williams began the first set off to a tough start with a 5-0 deficit. The starters for the Ephs were Roxi Corbeil '19, Ally Ostrow '19, Tori Jasuta '17, Katherine Lane '16, Catherine Egan '16, Ryan Farley '16, and libero Caitie Benell '17. After kills by Corbeil, Jasuta, and Ostrow, the Ephs soon tied at 6-6.

At 10-10, Ostrow got a service age. Williams trailed by a margin of one or two points for the majority of the set. Up 20-19, Wellesley took a timeout after a kill by Egan. Back from the timeout, Farley got a kill with an assist from Jasuta. Tied 23-23, Wellesley took a second timeout. At 26-25, Egan got a kill. After kill by Wellesley and a block to enforce the win-by-two rule after 25 points, Wellesley won the set 28-26.

The second set involved a new line up. Mia Weinland '19, Elizabeth Cromack '18, Shelby Fisher '18, Katherine Lane '16, Catherine Egan '16, Ryan Farley '16, and libero Caitie Benell '17 started for the Ephs. Both teams remained within one or two points of each other and had big kills and strong assists. At 15-15, Farley got a kill with an assist from Benell. Down by three at 21-18, Williams called a timeout. Back on the court, after a kill by Egan, Wellesley called a timeout. With Williams up after an attack error at 23-22, Wellesley called another timeout.

At 24-23, Farley got a kill. However, the Ephs were not able to hold on to their lead and Wellesley won the set 26-24 after a service ace and multiple attack errors from the Ephs.

The third set was a big shift in the momentum and the Ephs soon gained a large lead. Up 19-11, Wellesley called a timeout. At 22-14, Weinland got a kill from the outside with a set from Farley. After a service error at match point, Williams won the set 25-17. The fourth set was a back-and-forth battle. At 14-13, Jasuta had a service ace. Williams continued to push a head and Fisher got a block up 20-15. Richman had a service ace at 22-15. Match point for the Ephs was a kill by Weinland to take the set 25-16.

The determining fifth set included yet another new lineup for the Ephs. These starters were Weinland, Corbeil, Fisher, Farley, Lane, Egan, and Benell. Down 5-4, Corbeil got a kill from the right side. Down 7-6, Weinland earned a kill. At 9-6, Williams called a timeout. Back on the court, Jasuta subbed in a got a kill from the outside. Up 12-9, Wellesley called a timeout.

Benell had a service ace at 12-10. However, Wellesley put up a big block and got a kill to put themselves at match point. At 14-10, Williams called another timeout. After a final kill, Wellesley won the set and the match 15-11.

The second match of the day was against MIT (26-2, 7-1 in Conference). The Ephs lost to MIT in five sets (22-25, 21-25, 28-26, 26-24, 12-15) The first set began with starters Corbeil, Fisher, Farley, Lane, Egan and libero Benell. At 10-10, Lane got a kill in the middle. At 20-20, Williams called a timeout. Both teams played competitively and the score was very close. At 22-22, Jasuta got a kill from the outside.  MIT pushed ahead at a critical moment and went on a three-point run to win the set 25-22.

The second set had the Ephs trailing through the match. Down 13-9 after a block by MIT, Williams called a timeout. Still down at 21-17, Williams called another timeout. Despite a kill from Egan followed by a service ace from Richman at 24-21, MIT won the set 25-21. 

The Ephs rallied from being down two sets to none and came back to win the third and fourth sets. The third set was tied at 24-24 with a kill from Corbeil. Egan followed with a kill but MIT responded with an attack. At 26-24, Corbeil remained strong and earned another kill from the right side. Farley got a kill at 27-26 with an assist for Jasuta. Match point was win-by-two and occurred at 28-26 with a kill by Fisher in the middle.

Williams maintained nerves of steal in a critical fourth set. At 12-12 after multiple attack errors by the Ephs, they called a timeout. After a kill by Jasuta at 20-17, MIT called a timeout. With the score at 22-21 and down by one, Williams responded with another timeout. Ultimately, the Ephs pushed ahead after kills from Jasuta, Lane and Egan. A true team effort, the Ephs won the fourth set 26-24.

The Ephs came up short in the fifth set after working hard to even out the set score to 2-2. After strong blocking from MIT, Williams called a timeout down 6-2. The Ephs were unable to shift the momentum and took a timeout down 12-6. However, after the second timeout, the Ephs were able to narrow the deficit to 12-9. Corbeil and Lane worked together for a block at 12-8. However, MIT lead the final charge and after multiple kills won the set and the match 15-12.

Eph senior setter and co-captain Ryan Farley was named to the All-Tournament Team.

Head Coach of the Ephs Christi Kelsey had thoughts on the matches when she said, "Overall this was a tough weekend for us in terms of results. I am proud of our team for how hard we fought back today in both the Wellesley and MIT matches and for continuing to want to improve and get better during each and every match. We certainly arent playing at the level we want to yet, but our team has continued to be resilient and determined to keep challenging each other to improve every day." 

The Ephs next weekend is another away weekend but this time in conference. The Ephs play Wesleyan on 10/30 at 8:00PM and Trinity College on 10/31 at 2:00PM.